Sunday 27 January 2008

PORTUGAL 2005 Part 2

(THIS STORY CONTINUE FROM PART 1)


I intended to modify my first part to add more into it but I change my mind now. Better to start another part than go back and correct the old one ^_^


**FIRST AFTERNOON IN LISBON**

I arrived at TIVOLI TEJO, a four star hotel, in just some minutes after the bus left the airport. All participants were with us except the Singaporeans since their flight were different (they went there via London). The hotel was very nice and luxurious, including a free computer with Internet in the lobby. It's service reminded me of the good hotels in my home country. I do love its modern technologies because there were WI-FI in public areas and meeting rooms, Internet broadband access in the rooms, Free ADSL line in business centre, and so on... The hotel is located near the bank of the great Rio Tejo (Tejo River).


Credit:
VENERE.COM

After I and Mr. Praphon put our luggage in the hotel, we decided to have a stroll. 'Yes, only this jacket is fine for me!, it's not too cold out there' I replied to my senior colleague's question who brought with him 2 waistcoats & an overcoat. He looked at me strangely and put on 1 waistcoat, 'I'll bring these two in case of emergency'.

We walked straight from the hotel to the great river, which was so great; I can't see the other side and almost think that it is a lake or a sea. We walked on the stone paved footpath, looking on both side of the street. THIS IS AUTUMN PORTUGAL, I thought. It was beautiful with the still-green grass and several colours trees, including the cold wind piercing my clothes. The air was very fresh and the city was very clean...we walked 'till we reached the river.

The wind was stronger at the river bank than in the town since there is no building or wall blocking their way. I's more forunate because my jacket is wind-proof but my colleague's waistcoat is not. He put on another waistcoat when we were strolling along the river's bank. We talked a lot to each other about the terrific scenaries we have seen.


One hour passed, the rain was started to fall. It was very bad, although it was not a heavy one as in my country, because it was very cold. We were in a difficult time finding shelter due to the strong wind from every direction. My poor colleague put on the overcoat and gloves because his waistcoats cannot protect him from the rain. Again, my jacket has some water-proof ability in it ^_^ We ran, with freezing feet, as quick as possible (so slow it might have been) back to the hotel to stay away from freezing rain...

When the rain stopped, it had been already dark. Both of us went out again, this time we headed to the "Gare do Oriente" or ORIENT station in English, which located next to the hotel. We thought we may have to use it the other days entering the centre of Lisbon. Gare do Oriente was one of the biggest transport hub in Lisbon. We found that it was the hub for buses, trains, and undergrounds. The station was constructed with very well designed which I have no skill to describe such this man-made thing. Watch my picture closely for my hat since I've lost it here -- No more of it later ^_^ The station had a connection to Vasco Da Gama Shopping Centre, a huge shopping centre which at my time in Portugal no other was bigger than this. We had our simple dinner at the food court of this Centre. My plate was a chicken with rice, I can swear to you that it was too salty, not only the chicken but the rice itself. However, I ate them all as a consequence of the hard afternoon. How much does it cost? My dear....it 8 euros -- you might think it's so cheap but I was not ready at that time to spend 400 Baht for the salty and "unproper" cooked rice.

A nice clip about Gare do Oriente from youtube

And that's all for my first afternoon (and evening)...with HAPPY...


THIS STORY CONTINUE ON PART 3


1 comment: