Sunday 4 November 2007

HANOI 2005 Part 1

There're many things that disturb my mind lately. However, sharing with you my trips is always my pleasure. Today I'd like to recover my first trip to Hanoi, the capitol of Vietnam. Follow me...


**About Hanoi**

It's my preference to introduce you the place I visited before taking you along with me. If you already know Hanoi, just skip this part.

(Credit: WIKIPEDIA)

Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam. It's the very old city located on the right bank of the Red River. The logo of Hanoi is the logo of the Temple of Literature. I'll tell you more about it in the content ^_^

(Credit: WIKIPEDIA)

"The Red River flows pass the Vietnamese capital Hanoi before emptying into the Gulf of Tonkin. Tonkin is former name of the northern provinces of Vietnam and thus the eponymous body of water receiving the main river of "Tonkin". The reddish-brown heavily silt-laden water gives the river its name. The Red River is notorious for its violent floods with its seasonally wide volume fluctuations. The delta is a major agricultural area of Vietnam with vast area devoted to rice. The land is protected by an elaborate network of dykes and levees. In the 19th century, the river was thought to be a lucrative trade route to China. It was the forced opening of the Red River to European commerce that prompted the wars between France and the Vietnamese court (1883-1886), culminating in the conquest of Vietnam."

(Credit: WIKIPEDIA)

"The area around modern Hanoi has been inhabited since at least 3000 BC. One of the first known permanent settlements is the Co Loa citadel founded around 200 BC.Hanoi has had many names throughout history, all of them of Sino-Vietnamese origin. The city was occupied by the Japanese in 1940, and liberated in 1945, when it became the seat of Vietnam's government. From 1946 to 1954, it was the scene of heavy fighting between the French and Viet Minh forces. At that point, the city became the capital of an independent North Vietnam. During the Vietnam War Hanoi's transportation facilities were disrupted by the bombing of bridges and railways, which were, however, promptly repaired. Following the end of the war, Hanoi became the capital of Vietnam when North and South Vietnam were reunited on July 2, 1976." (Quoted from: WIKIPEDIA)


**Money in Vietnam**

The đồng (VND, IPA: dɔŋ, ISO 4217 Code VND) is the currency of Vietnam since May 3, 1978. 1 USD = 16,066 VND (from Yahoo! Finance: 9 November 2007)

I recommend travellers to carry US or Euro dollars and exchange to VND when you arrive Hanoi. The exchange rate in Hanoi is quite stable, thanks to the strictly control of Vietnamese government.

(Credit: WIKIPEDIA)


**The free first day**

As same as at Jakarta and Singapore, I was sent there for GMP training. It was my luck to be one of the eight people who were granted 4-country-campaign training sponsorship from the EC-ASEAN programme in 2005. The training was established in Jakarta, Hanoi, Manila, and Bangkok.

I arrived Hanoi at Noi Bai International Airport, many kilometres from Hanoi, together with the same group of colleagues as of the Jakarta trip; Mr. Aphichai, Mr. Suteep, and Mr. Sombat (Hey! I reveal them since the first part this time), on Sunday, May 15. We stayed at the 'FORTUNA' Hotel, an upper-class hotel which located opposite to the US embassy. After having a good lunch, I and my colleagues catched a taxi to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum.

Unfortunately, we can't go inside because they're preparing for some kind of big celebration (I couldn't communicate with the guard, of course!!). But only the beauty from the front of the mausoleum is quite impressive. The sunlight and the wind was so strong.

Near the mausoleum, you'll find the Ho Chi Minh Museum. The museum is great and is under the continuous development. It shows the history of Vietnam, especially Vietnam war and the glory of Northern Vietnam, led by Ho Chi Min (he died 6 years before the war ended). In Vietnam, Ho Chi Min is called 'Uncle Ho' by the new generation. I think this is the good kind of thing for children to think of their war hero in the kind way.

On the side of the Museum, there is the 'One Pillar Pagoda', another famous place of interest. As you can see in the picture, it's the pagoda on a big pillar located in the large pool and you can get up there by stairs. It might be great but I think it's too normal to be a good place of interest because there're a lot more better than this in my home country.

RECOMMEND: These three places are the package that you can't miss when you visit Hanoi. I've heard from my friends who enter the Ho Chi Min mausoleum that it's worth to get inside.


After visiting that package of three places of interest, we still have time before it's dark. We looked at the map and decided to walk (again...this group really love walking!!!) to the Flag Tower of Vietnam. I and my colleagues walk there through a Road which has enormous trees on its both sides.

We decided not to find the way in but to continued our walking to Hoan Kiem Lake which located not far from there. I and my colleagues reached the Hoan Kiem Lake at about 6 p.m...phew...I's so tired...Even the spectacular scene of the lake couldn't refresh me much... We took a short rest and (Oh, my GOSH, no...not again... T.T) started walking around the lake bank.



The lake is bigger than we expected. Our (not only me...I'm so sure...) stamina depleted just before completing half of the bank, so, we decided to stop at the first coffee shop we met. Finally, thank god, we found one on the bank!!!

We did a sharp turn (especially, P' Sombat ^_^) right into the shop. Even the price of the coffee didn't change our mind 'cause we're so tired.

++Arrr....I can't regret that on the moment I's going to place myself on the chair, would be the most happiest time on my life++

We ordered coffee and soft drinks and we drinks our beverages as slow as possible to rest our legs a bit more because we knew that we've another half to go.

After half-hour resting, we started to feel hungry but we didn't know where to eat. We, then, took a deep breath and continued our walk. The second half of the lake bank was more interesting. We found the place where the famous 'WATER PUPPET' show is and that place lifted up my mind a bit. I and my colleagues crossed the road and started looking for information. It's too late for the show that evening but I didn't regret it because I's not in the mood of seeing the easy show. My legs and feet was hurt and I think my colleagues felt the same because we agreed to come back tomorrow for this famous show.

We crossed back to the river bank. When I and my colleagues had been finding a taxi, I saw a Vietnamese woman walking to Mr. Sombat. She carry a basket with many CDs inside it in one of her hand

'CHEX-CHEE?...CHEX-CHEE?', she said, touching Mr. Sombat by one of her CD.

At that moment I, and the other 2 colleagues instantly stopped and looked at each other face and then Mr. Sombat's face who continued walking, trying not to hear that woman. To be frank, I ALMOST LAUGH OUT LOUD *0*

'CHEX-CHEE....very cheap!!', she continued selling her sexy CD (X-rate CD, I'm so sure). Mr. Sombat waved his hand and said, 'No..No..'. He continued walking while I stopped, watching him and praying for him, 'please bring her far away my dear P' Sombat I don't wanna face the same situation', that's what I've prayed ^o^

He walked round and round, said 'no' and 'no' and that took more than 10 minutes before the woman leave him. We, then, tacked him as quickly as possible, catched the first taxi to the hotel and forgot our dinner until we reached our hotel.

My dinner today was an original Vietnamese noodle called 'PHO' in the local shop nearby. We almost can't order because they didn't understand even a basic English. We tried everything, using fingers, body languages and the chicken sound (-"-) The taste of the original PHO was completely different from what I'd eaten in my country. It's no taste...my country called this taste of noodle as the 'failed noodle maker'. However, it's my personal preference that I prefer spicy food. You may feel it in a different way.

Sorry again for the late update...there're many details in this part...and...do you think why the CD seller choose only Mr. Sombat????


The next part will be updated soon...


3 comments:

Unknown said...

getting addict to your blog, coz wanna c whether your journey was as same as mine. how to know when u update your blog?

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!! This is a freaking long blog, I tried to read all of them, but I admit that I skipped some part :P sorry. Anyways, you look so much better than you do in a person and also in TV lol jk na ka.

Pom

Unknown said...

Just revisited to see where my last visit was. umm who is POM, then? What is TV lol jk? so confuse.